Kyle evidence, using false witnesses, and lawKyle evidence, using false witnesses, and law

Kyle Unger is now a free man who was once convicted of the murder of his high school classmate, Brigitte Grenier, on the 22nd of June, 1990. Along with Timothy Houlahan, they were charged with first-degree murder and sentenced to life in prison. Timothy, Kyle, and the deceased were all attending a music festival. Brigitte left with Timothy at two in the morning, heading to the woods to have an intimate moment. Two hours later, Timothy came back to the festival covered in blood and dirt and told people he was attacked by a random stranger and passed out. Kyle also left the party at the same time and came back later without any dirt or blood (Innocence Canada, 2016). Brigitte was found dead in the woods the next day, and there was evidence of sexual assault. Timothy claimed that Kyle carried out the brutal murder and forced him to help him dump the body. A string of operations by law enforcement also attempted to pin the murder on Kyle, and he was eventually sent to jail for fourteen years. Kyle attempted to appeal his conviction, but it was denied while Timothy’s was approved. On the 28th of February of 1992, Kyle and Timothy were officially convicted and began their prison terms, which the latter did not complete because he committed suicide. On the 22nd of December 1993, the Supreme Court of Canada officially denied Kyle’s appeal and upheld his conviction (Innocence Canada, 2016). In April of 2003, after a decade, the AIDWYC revisited the case to examine the forensic evidence. After establishing that Kyle could not have been the murderer, the Federal Minister of Justice granted him bail and ordered a retrial. He was finally cleared on October 23rd of 2009 and granted a full acquittal. The case violated multiple tenets of justice by obtaining false confessions through entrapment, not fully examining evidence, using false witnesses, and law enforcement conspiracies (Innocence Canada, 2016). Regarding forensic evidence, Kyle only had a strand of hair linking him to the crime, and this eventually became the turning point of the case. After a proper forensic examination that challenged the validity of the hair microscopy results that led to the conviction, it turned out that the hair strand was in fact not Kyle’s. On the other hand, all of the examination results of samples obtained from Timothy pointed towards him being the perpetrator. Secondly, Timothy’s statements turned out to be fabrications, along with all the reports from inmates who claimed to have had Kyle confess to them that he committed the murder. Additionally, one could accuse law enforcement of having tunnel vision in sticking with the theory that Kyle was guilty. They were eager to make an arrest and completely disregarded significant facts of the case and focused on putting an innocent teenager behind bars. What is worse is the lengths they went to convict him, including setting him up with a “Mr. Big” who would obtain an admission that he killed the girl, making him ideal to work for him as a mobster. While Kyle was eventually exonerated, his civil suit against the state is still ongoing as he tries to get compensation for the thirteen years he wrongfully served time. The state refuses to compensate him stating that the damage he suffered was brought on by his actions. This is in reference to his false confession to Mr. Big. Ironically, Kyle was conspiratorially set up by officers to make this confession. Regardless, the criminal trial has been put to bed but the civil suit and the battle to regain back the time and life he lost while in jail continues.